VS 2005 saving to network on Windows 7 abandons temporary files
Anthony Wieser
2009-11-21 14:16:56 UTC
I've tried this saving both to a network attached storage device, and a
folder shared by Windows Vista.

Every time I save a file using VS2005 with the latest service packs to a
network location, the file is saved with a random name appended and .tmp,
and then abandoned on the network drive.

This only happens when using it on a Windows 7 machine, and not from other
operating systems.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any idea how to stop it?
--
Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd
David Lowndes
2009-11-21 17:08:03 UTC
Post by Anthony Wieser
I've tried this saving both to a network attached storage device, and a
folder shared by Windows Vista.
Every time I save a file using VS2005 with the latest service packs to a
network location, the file is saved with a random name appended and .tmp,
and then abandoned on the network drive.
This only happens when using it on a Windows 7 machine, and not from other
operating systems.
It sounds like an odd permissions issue - like you've got permission
to create a file, but not rename one.

Can you create and rename a file on those shares normally using
Explorer?

What happens if you specifically run VS2005 as Administrator -
remember that with W7 & Vista that an admin account doesn't run with
full privileges.

Dave
Anthony Wieser
2009-11-23 11:36:32 UTC
Post by David Lowndes
Post by Anthony Wieser
I've tried this saving both to a network attached storage device, and a
folder shared by Windows Vista.
Every time I save a file using VS2005 with the latest service packs to a
network location, the file is saved with a random name appended and .tmp,
and then abandoned on the network drive.
This only happens when using it on a Windows 7 machine, and not from other
operating systems.
It sounds like an odd permissions issue - like you've got permission
to create a file, but not rename one.
Can you create and rename a file on those shares normally using
Explorer?
What happens if you specifically run VS2005 as Administrator -
remember that with W7 & Vista that an admin account doesn't run with
full privileges.
I don't think it's a permission issue, because it happens on two different
NAS devices, as well as a shared folder from Vista Business.

I tried running as an admin, but it didn't appear to make any difference.

Also, the problem seems to be intermittent, like there's some timing issue
going on. The tmp files are always the previous version of the file. I
think there must be something going on by creating a temporary file with
Delete semantics, and then it for some reason is abandoned. Also, it didn't
appear to affect some file extensions, but I haven't been able to figure out
the rules exactly.

Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd
David Lowndes
2009-11-24 08:35:18 UTC
Post by Anthony Wieser
Also, the problem seems to be intermittent, like there's some timing issue
going on.
It's (sort of) "well known" that MS don't support Visual Studio
working with projects on network shares - only local hard drives. I
don't know why, but maybe your experience is indicative of why they
don't?

Dave
Anthony Wieser
2009-11-26 11:39:12 UTC
Post by David Lowndes
Post by Anthony Wieser
Also, the problem seems to be intermittent, like there's some timing issue
going on.
It's (sort of) "well known" that MS don't support Visual Studio
working with projects on network shares - only local hard drives. I
don't know why, but maybe your experience is indicative of why they
don't?
Dave
Further research is leading me towards a problem with CIFS and Windows 7
when working with previous versions, as all of the files are named
origfilename.ext~RFxxxxxx.TMP

Still not having much luck figuring it out though.

Is there a way to switch off previous versions on a network share I wonder?

Anyone know where the Windows 7 group is?

Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd
David Lowndes
2009-11-26 11:47:41 UTC
Post by Anthony Wieser
Is there a way to switch off previous versions on a network share I wonder?
Dunno
Post by Anthony Wieser
Anyone know where the Windows 7 group is?
I suspect there isn't an NNTP newsgroup - you'll probably have to use
the MSDN web forums.

Dave