Directories showing up under Solution Explorer for VS2005 Professional
Stephen Howe
2009-12-07 17:33:59 UTC
Hi

I have a solution that has as startup a MFC EXE and vanilla Win32 DLLs, each of which is a process started by the MFC EXE.
All written in C++.

If I look at the source code for any given process, all code is under "directories"
Header Files
Source Files
Resource Files
I say "directories" because these names dont exist as directories on disk, it is how the source files have been grouped.
In reality, all CPP, H and RC files, for each project are in their own directory.

But I have test solution, relatively new and it differs from the arrangement above.
I see
Debug Files
Release Files
but no
Header Files
Source Files
Resource Files
and this time, it does correspond to what is on disk within the project.

Why these two different views?
How do I get the latter looking like the former?

Thanks

Stephen Howe
Andrew McDonald
2009-12-07 19:19:00 UTC
Solution Explorer displays its contents in "filters" - virtual folders that
contain the .cpp files etc. You can arrange these however you want, it's
only when you create a project that the default setup is "Source Files",
"Header Files" etc. Just right-click a project node or existing filter to
create new filters underneath it, and drag items about as if you were using
Windows Explorer. You might choose to make your filters mirror your project
layout on disk - IMO this is the easiest way to manage a project anyway,
especially a large one.

Also, Solution Explorer might be in "Show All Files" mode. You toggle this
with the button of the same name at the top of the Solution Explorer pane.
In this mode, it doesn't display the filters, but instead the physical
folders on disk, starting at the directory where the project file is. Maybe
your other solution is set into this mode?

--
Andy