Stand-alone C++ programming language?
John Doe
2010-10-28 21:50:03 UTC
Did Microsoft stop publishing Visual C++?
David Lowndes
2010-10-28 22:24:59 UTC
Post by John Doe
Did Microsoft stop publishing Visual C++?
No, but the product is now sold as part of Visual Studio.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/

The "express" editions can be obtained per-language:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/

Dave
John Doe
2010-10-28 22:39:50 UTC
Post by David Lowndes
Post by John Doe
Did Microsoft stop publishing Visual C++?
No, but the product is now sold as part of Visual Studio.
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/
http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/
The express editions cannot use MFC? Does that mean I will not be
able to get my Visual C++ NET 2003 macro recorder project to work
with the express edition? So I am expected to spend hundreds of
dollars for Visual Studio just to occasionally edit my macro
recorder utility?

Is there some code I can post to tell whether or not it is
compatible with the express version of Visual C++?

Thanks.
David Lowndes
2010-10-29 07:31:02 UTC
Post by John Doe
The express editions cannot use MFC?
Yes. I believe the MFC components only come with the paid versions.
Post by John Doe
Does that mean I will not be
able to get my Visual C++ NET 2003 macro recorder project to work
with the express edition?
From what you mentioned about your project, I don't think you'd gain
much benefit from moving it to a newer toolset. If you had plans to
make use of newer C++ standards facilities, then such a move may be
worthwhile, but if you're happy with what you have, why change?

Dave